I see where is the problem!
You need more, you want a solid big head unit that carries more features to you and your car.
That’s why you are searching for the best double DIN head units and that’s why you are here now reading our review.
The deal is that with such diversity in technologies and devices there is no one fits all type of double DIN head unit so you are going to, first of all, determine your needs and your type of devices.
Maybe you are using Apple devices and living in the Apple ecosystem so you should get the head units that work perfectly and enjoy the compatibility.
And maybe you are using Android devices so you will pick the best one for you. That’s why we are telling you that you have to determine your needs first and see what type of technologies you are using and get the one that fits it.
So, here we are reviewing the best double DIN stereos you can buy in 2017:
1- Pioneer FH-X720BT:
First of all, we are going to mention Pioneer a lot on our list. They are making Top notch head units that stand out in the crowd.
The FH-X720BT is a very fancy head unit with over 210,000 colors with 10 brightness levels to match the Pioneer’s display to your vehicle’s dash illumination.
You can set it up with to any color you want to fit nicely in your dashboard.
The Pioneer FH-X720BT has another fancy feature called Mmixtrax which adds a light show to your dash while you are listening to your playlists.
It synchronizes with your music to make it even cooler and hey when you are in the mood for such a thing this could make you enjoy a more playful experience.
You can play mainly any type of media through connecting your devices with the unit from the USB in its front dashboard. And hey if you use Pandora that’s a plus because the Pioneer FH-X720BT supports it and you shouldn’t have fears about losing sound quality.
The Pioneer FH-X720BT has built-in Bluetooth so hands-free calls are things you will enjoy if you will pick it as your next stereo.
Also, you can find a lot of other features that are both compelling and useful like:
Guest Mode: “Guest Mode” allows you to add and replace a 3rd mobile device instantly to the receiver
Dual Phone Connect: Once the pairing process is complete, the head unit will automatically connect two phones when in the vehicle to make and receive calls and stream music from both mobile devices.
And finally, it is connected to a MOSFET amplifier to help with the size and efficiency.
The big selling point for this stereo is that it is in the $100 price tag. And from our perspective, it is an amazing deal for deal hunters.
The Pioneer FH-X720BT Specs:
- Multi-Line, Multi-Segmented LCD Display with LED Backlight (13+4 characters)
- Built-In MOSFET 50W x 4 Amplifier
- 2 Sets of RCA Preouts (2V) for System Expansion
- 5-Band Graphic Equalizer
- Front USB Port and AUX Input
- Advanced Sound Retriever
- Wired Remote Input
- Included Remote Control
- Anti-Dust Design
2- Kenwood DPX500BT:
This double DIN stereo is more powerful than the previous one and also it is more expensive.
We found that it is so functional with features like a phone book on the go and the outgoing phone call button the added to the dashboard. You see this is for people who make a lot of phone calls and try to save time and also for safety so they don’t look at their phones while they are driving.
Features like built-in Bluetooth, hands-free calling and MOSFET preamp are sure here with the Kenwood DPX500BT.
Also, it is SiriusXM ready and works with iheartradio and Pandora. It is so functional and powerful and could be an amazing stereo for people who want an efficient and powerful stereo.
Kenwood DPX500BT Specs:
- CD player with built-in MOSFET amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- fits double-DIN dash openings
- large multi-line display with selectable button, knob, and display illumination (24 colors)
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RW discs, including discs, loaded with MP3, WMA, and AAC files
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free phone calls and wireless music streaming
- automatic iPhone pairing with Siri control capability
- Pandora control with iPhone, Android, and Blackberry
- App Mode allows iPhone 4/4S use for select streaming audio apps
- Aha Radio and iHeartRadio control with Android or iPhone
- remote control
3- JVC KW-R800BT:
JVC is known for their high-quality stereos and there is no difference here with the KW-R800BT.
With a big display that you sure could adjust its colors and have a beautiful and fancy unit.
Hands-free calling, USB connection, and AUX connection you will be able to connect all your devices with your JVC stereo.
The one thing we don’t like about this unit is that it is a bit expensive for what you get. Otherwise, if you want to go with JVC this is a stereo you don’t want to miss.
4- Pioneer AVH-4100NEX:
Like we said before, Pioneer is making some of the best head units in the market right now and with the AVH-4100NEX they took the market to a whole new level.
Building this stereo on a Network Entertainment Experience which is a very joyful model of innovation and interaction between the unit and built-in Apps or installed apps.
Supporting technologies like Apple carplay, Android Auto, Mirrorlink, and Siri Eyes Free, you are going to enjoy this unit so much. You also can install android apps like Google Music and Google Maps.
The touchscreen opens the possibilities to whole new features that you can take advantage of by owning the Pioneer AVH-4100NEX.
Besides Android Auto and Apple carplay you can use a variety of other features like Appradio apps and a whole bunch of navigation apps like Waze and INRIX traffic.
Final thoughts are that the Pioneer AVH-4100NEX is one of the most sophisticated double DIN head units in the market right now, it is quite expensive but if you see these features as something you need and are going to use, this stereo is going to be a gold of yours.
5- Jensen VX7020:
This head unit is the best bang for your bucks hands down. It is just amazing.
For less than $300 you will get a Jensen VX7020 that has big and beautiful 6.2-inch touchscreen and built-in navigation app and also built-in Bluetooth.
Key features are:
- Plays from CDs, DVDs, DVD+R/RW, CD-R/RW, SiriusXM satellite radio, USB, a 3.5mm audio jack, AM/FM radio
- Compatible with Spotify, Pandora, iHeartRadio, Aha Radio, TuneIn
- Plays MP3, VCD, CD-DA, WMA, SVCD, MPEG 1 and 2, AVI, and Xvid files
- 13 Watts x 4 channels
- 10-band parametric Equalizer with 8 preset
- Front USB, rear HDMI, camera, and A/V inputs
- 5-channel preamp outputs
- Rear camera option with lane guidance
- Speed limit warnings
- Remote control
We completely recommend this Jensen head unit if you want a touch screen head unit that works like charm with navigation and also has a user-friendly interface that is less than $300 this unit is the absolute best for you.
6- Upgraded Pyle Double Din Touchscreen head unit:
A 6.5 inch LCD touch screen stereo that is less than $100. First of all, it is not awesome but for the price believe me worth every penny you pay for it.
All the basic features you are looking for you will find with the Upgraded Pyle Double Din Touchscreen stereo but don’t expect so much
- LCD MONITOR SCREEN: This car Bluetooth receiver comes with a 6.5″ TFT/LCD display, multimedia disc support, and multi-file compatibility.
- BUILT-IN CD/DVD PLAYER: The Bluetooth receiver features a built-in CD/DVD player and touchscreen display that allows you to navigate through all your media quickly and easily.
- CONNECT TO ALL YOUR SMART DEVICES: The car stereo receiver easily pairs to your Smart Phone and works with all your favorite Bluetooth-enabled devices (iPhone, Android, Blackberry, HTC, Samsung, Sony, etc.).
- IN-DASH RECEIVER: This car DVD player is a versatile dashboard entertainment system that adds crisp widescreen video quality at a modest size.
- UPDATED FEATURES: The car audio receiver comes packed with additional features including AM/FM Radio with 30 station memory, customizable EQ audio controls, 4-channel RCA pre-amp and subwoofer output.
Are granted to be there on that head unit so if this is what you are looking for and you are on an extreme budget you should really go with the Upgraded Pyle Double Din Touchscreen radio.
7- Sony XAV-AXre100:
We didn’t review a lot of Sony gears on our site. The XAV-AX100 is a head unit for the new digital age. It takes no CDs or DVDs but it is prepared for any new device.
Works like charm with Carplay and Android Auto.
One thing worth mentioning is that the design of this radio is awesome. How they made it so easy to interact with the controls and the overall look of it is just awesome. You see, it’s a Sony product and they are known for their geniuses in designing new gears.
The controls reduce distracted driving a lot and the UI of the radio works like charm. If you want to have a beautiful piece of sony gears in your front dashboard with Great UI design and easy interactions. A head unit that eliminated CDs and DVDs to give you an amazing experience with the new devices you use more.
Popular Questions about Double DIN head units:
What is a Double DIN head unit? Or what is the difference between single DIN and double DIN stereos?
Simply the size. Bigger stereos give you more options and more features to play with. Sometimes you will get a touch screen one or one without a touchscreen. It is always up to your preference.
Why are Double DIN head units better? Or is it any good?
Yup, actually if you care about having more features and stereos that adapt the new technologies you need to go with double DIN units.
Now you know everything you need to understand about the Double DIN radios and what is the best one for you.
As Always Enjoy Your Car Sound System.